The Synergy Vinyasa Method was developed by Bianca Machliss & Simon Borg-Olivier over a 20 year period. Both Bianca & Simon returned to University to complete second degrees in Physiotherapy, in order to become safer, more knowledgeable yoga teachers. The style emerged as a result of their practice of different yoga styles – Ashtanga, Iyengar, Vinyasa, Hatha in combination with Physiotherapy principles. Some of the features of the method include:
- nerve tensioning exercises for neck/shoulder/wrist problems
- single leg balancing to improve leg strength & core stability
- active movements to take your body where it can go to without force
- safety releases after more advanced postures to ensure neck and back are taken care of.
In the Synergy Vinyasa Method, postures are not held for very long, as the emphasis is on active movement and flow. Each posture has a “simple” and a more challenging “complex” version. “Simple” doesn’t necessarily mean easy…..it just has fewer elements of strength, flexibility and balance. All students – regardless of strength and flexibility – are encouraged to understand the simple versions of the postures before the more complex versions are attempted. Students can then choose the level of difficulty that suits them, from moment to moment, day to day.
The Synergy Vinyasa Method is based on six dynamic sequences, which each follow a similar pattern.
The sequences are specifically designed to be taught progressively over a nine-week period, culminating in a flow through class to music in the final week. You can join the practice at any stage in the 9 week program, however it is recommended that you come at least once a week, once you start, to improve your understanding of the style. Often your first try at something new will be the hardest step, and from then on it becomes easier.
If you come regularly, you will learn a practice that is based on a deep and sound knowledge of anatomy and physiology, modern medical science and traditional hatha yoga, and something that you will eventually be able to practice independently.
- If you’re in Sydney, come along and try a class as Newtown, Bondi or Vaucluse. >>> Find out more
- Join us Online with over 70 classes and growing to choose from. >>> Find out more
- Yoga Synergy trained teachers are teaching worldwide. >>>Find a teacher near you
- Try our Water Sequence classes >>> Intro Pass offer only $55
Share this Post